Epilogue
I went to Rat Race to learn and have fun. Although I earned an advanced degree in thermal flying and had one of the greatest vacations I can remember, I came away with so much more.
For me, Rat Race was a week of discovery, or at least rediscovery. Competition flying is an amazing aspect for paragliding that draws a crowd like we had at Rat Race. Keen competitors at the top of their game, racing to goal for nothing more than achieving a goal. Whether that goal is standing on a podium at the end of the week, or simply making goal on one of the tasks, regardless of the driving factor, every morning I saw eager pilots bubbling with excitement to get on task.
I discovered that thermal flying a site like Woodrat Mountain is much more difficult than I could have ever imagined. Thermal flying alone was very new for me, having learned in Hawaii and knowing nothing but soaring ridge lift, for the most part. Bring a competition with 110 pilots to a thermaling site like Woodrat Mountain with strong valley winds and convergence and the difficulty compounds exponentially. I walked away after 11 flights in 7 days with a profound respect for each and every person there.
In the end, one of my greatest discoveries was why I love flying in Hawaii. I fly to relax and experience the freedom of flight as only so few creatures on this planet can experience, paragliding pilots included. Perhaps some would be bored flying figure-eights on the face of Makapuu or Kahana ridges, but that is what draws me to the sport. There is enough stress in my life at work.
While LeeAnn and I are already planning our return trip to Rat Race in 2011, I will cherish the time I have between now and then flying in Hawaii. I will return a much more experienced pilot and seek out thermal flying opportunities in Hawaii in preparation. Although my best task was only tagging 4 of 7 waypoints on Task 4, I feel I achieved all I set out to accomplish and made goal every day.
Credits
As most of you will attest, the quality of any vacation, job, assignment or pursuit is often determined by the people around you. If you've ever sat next to the guy on a dive boat who talks incessantly about his exploits to the point your ears bleed, you know what I mean. On the other hand, if you've ever spend a week with your closest family and friends enjoying everything you do from dawn til dusk, you also understand the point I am trying to make. I found myself at home in J-Ville, with so many people I consider my family and friends.
Alex Colby: I can't say enough about "the King of Kahana". Having Alex there was like having my own instructor, mentor and guide with me the entire week. Alex discovered what I was doing wrong by watching my GoPro video and taught me how to improve my thermaling. He was also so much fun around a fire, demonstrating how hard the thermals were rocking us and falling out of his chair backwards. Most of all, it simply gave me confidence and excitement seeing such a great pilot and a familiar face with me in line on launch each day. Thanks for everything, Alex.
Pete Michelmore and the rest of the Hawaii crew (Bonnie, Andrew, Duck & Ginger): Alex brought up a good point in a conversation we had on our way up the mountain one morning; "What does Pete get out of volunteering every year?" At that moment we all realized one thing, Pete does it because he knows he is needed at Rat Race and has the skills to ensure it always get done. Pete ensures everyone launches safely, and finds all those who do not always land safely. His advise and assistance on launch was another thing I will never forget. The entire crew from Hawaii brought the Aloha that Rat Race deserves. Thanks for being there guys.
The Paul and Whitney Murdoch Family (including, of course, Hailey and Luke, Sy and Kaitlyn, Gus, Edgar, Mosely, Ruby, Pepe, and Mouse): All I can say is that when a family opens their house and takes in perfect strangers for a week, they are very, very special. When they do so and prepare gourmet feasts, provide conversation, laughter, and compassion, they are a Godsend! When they do all that and touch your heart in a way that makes you feel you've always known them, they are family. We love you all and can't wait to see you again...spending time with you made our week at Rat Race!
Thank you all for your encouragement and support,
JD and LeeAnn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
JD, yet another eloquent and heartfelt post from you. Man, am I lucky that you were willing to write these daily discourses on our adventures - I guess I was too busy falling out of the sky and drowning my shame with fine wine. I am still working on a belated report from my own besotted perspective, but in the meantime, thanks for all the excellent reporting you've done over the past week.
Post a Comment