Monday, May 24, 2010

Back to the Rat Race

I'm super psyched to be going back to the Rat Race for the 5th year in a row. I'm so lucky to be able to take the time to travel to one of the country's greatest flying spots and fly with such a great bunch of people. And yes, after struggling to learn a few things about this kind of flying over the last four years, I realize it's likely that I'm never really gonna excel at it. But it sure is fun to keep trying! I feel like one of those perpetual students that never leaves college, just taking more courses and refusing to graduate.

Continuing the trend of the last few years, Hawaii offers a very small contingent to represent us this year: just me and JD are enrolled to compete, while LeeAnn, Pete, Bonnie and Andrew will be volunteering and/or free flying. And it looks like John (Duck) and Ginger might be able to stop by while they're on the West Coast.

But just two of us flying the tasks! I can think of at least a dozen of my local flying buddies who are ready to sign up and get a lot out of this event. I guess I haven't been an effective evangelist. Or maybe you guys are just feeling the downturn, or saving your vacation time for other pursuits. I do miss the big groups of local pilots we mustered for this event the first couple of years.

After the last two years of not making goal for a day's task even once, I need to recalibrate my expectations: my aim this year is just to use the day's task to work on my very remedial cross country flying skills, and not worry about trying to make goal on a given day. I have a lot to learn about cross country flying, not to mention competition flying. Or maybe I just have a lot to unlearn about coastal ridge soaring! Either way, this is the place to do it. This event is always a great education, and offers the chance to rack up more hours of thermal flying in a week than we will see in a year on Oahu.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex,

LeeAnn and I can't wait to join you at Rat Race. We promise to bring the Aloha with us and share with all who attend.

I love the T-Shirt! Can't wait to get my first one in 2010.

To all competing, volunteering, and just plain enjoying Oregon, we look forward to meeting you soon!

JD (An Oahu Monkey)

Sharky said...

Alex,

Good luck on the Rat Race and achieving new firsts! The timing of the event is tough for me work wise (mid year end) but I'm really hoping to go on another paraventure soon.

Dude, I so want to get an RR t-shirt, who must I get drunk and roll to get one? Preferrably a lightweight that wears a size L. :)

I only have the RedBull one, but the entire series you've done so far is awesome!

Take care, and be safe!

Sharky

Anonymous said...

Alex,
Good luck, hopefully we will keep the antics down here while your gone.

Strive for goal but most of all have fun.

Don't Forget my Shirt !

Thom

Brazilian Ray said...

Too bad I can't take the time off to join the RR family this year. Good luck and have fun there!
BTW, awesome shirt design, again ;)